We bring together an outstanding team of respected, experienced specialists and subspecialists in back, neck, and spine care:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: This specialist — called a physiatrist — is usually the first stop when you need a comprehensive initial evaluation and proper diagnosis of what’s causing your back or neck pain. Physiatrists can also can treat any disabilities resulting from disease or injury, including back, neck, and spinal cord disorders without surgery, and will refer you for surgery when it’s appropriate.
- Pain Management/Anesthesia: Our pain management experts offer proven options for managing chronic pain, including image-guided injections and spinal cord stimulator implantation
- Neurosurgery: UMass Memorial is home to highly specialized neurosurgeons who are nationally recognized for their advanced knowledge and expertise, particularly in minimally invasive spinal procedures, spine oncology, and spine deformity.
- Orthopedics: UMass Memorial is a center of excellence in orthopedic care, with spine surgery training and experience to effectively treat the most simple to the most complex spinal conditions.
- Spinal oncology: We offer multidisciplinary expertise in this complex subspecialty that is unrivalled locally and rare in all of New England; our capabilities include input from a team, including oncologists, radiation oncologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic spine surgeons, and palliative care.
- Neuroradiology: Our skilled neuroradiologists perform diagnostic imaging and imaging-guided interventional treatment of disorders affecting the back and neck.
- Physical therapy (PT): A mainstay of treatment for most back and neck issues, our skilled PT team offers a mix of therapeutic exercise tailored to your individual needs.
- Advanced Practice Providers (APPs): provide a wide range of preventive and acute health care services to individuals of all ages.
As part of an academic medical center, the UMass Memorial Center for Spine Health can also give you streamlined access to other specialists with expertise in spine-related issues. These may include neurologists, nutritionists, rheumatologists, endocrinologists, and psychiatry.